Text Neck Syndrome is an ever increasing problem today. Most of us suffer from this uncomfortable condition to some degree. Todays fast paced life and demands on our time drive us to become more efficient in communication with those important to us. Did you know the average head weighs between 10 and 12 pounds? Our spine neck and muscles are designed to balance this important part of our anatomy at the very top of our body as the master controller of our every move.
This is why our neck is meant to act as an amazing spring in suspending our head over everything we do. The repetitive body position of looking down at our phone, tablet or computer device results in an upper body posture that extends the neck forward as in the above illustration. The further our head and neck is extended forward and focused downward, the more our head will effectively weigh placing an unnatural strain on our neck, shoulders and spinal column as a whole.
Now that I have your attention- Let me share the following tips
How do I sit properly?
- Keep your feet on the floor or on a footrest, if they don’t reach the floor.
- Don’t cross your legs. Your ankles should be in front of your knees.
- Leave small gap between the back of your knees and the front of your seat.
- Your knees and hips at a 90º angles.
- Adjust the backrest of your chair to support your low- and mid-back or use a back support.
- Relax your shoulders and keep your forearms parallel to the ground.
Avoid sitting in the same position for long periods of time.